Emergence of a Song

Hey all you music listeners and lovers. Have you every wondered how to write a song? Well, I have and I really want to try it out. It seems like a hard thing to do and I want to tackle writing something original!

I got my first guitar when I was an 8th grader. Man, those days feel so long ago. It was really neat, learning the basics of simply playing guitar. The first time I picked it up and learned how to play, I played for so long until my fingertips started bleeding. Then I knew I was in love with the instrument. I played songs like Come As You Are by Nirvana, La Bamba by Ritchie Valens, and Nothing Else Matters by Metallica. I even moved onto new songs when I got my first electric. Stuff like Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer, and Blood and Thunder by Mastodon. But as I continued to play these covers, I gradually got bored. Don't get me wrong! I love these songs to death and they're written great. But I wanted to pursue something more! I want to have something I can be proud of, and I can own.

Image result for song writing memes

My goal in writing my song is to learn about songwriting, write it, and record it by June 6th. I decided on this goal because June 6th is when this project ends, and I still have a lot to learn about songwriting itself. So it's going to put some time on me to learn. I need to learn about modes and scales first, because I've been told they're the foundation of the song.  Then I need to know how to write chord progressions, verses, choruses, and record myself playing all of this! I almost forgot about using music notation, learning how to write sheet music and notating it correctly. Writing a song seemed a lot harder now than when I first got into it. I thought songwriting was with messing around with my guitar and finding what sounds good. But it's not as simple as that. 

I was also inspired to write by some Youtubers I stumbled across. Tyler, more notably known as Music Is Win is a Youtuber who inspired me to write music! He has some really great and informative videos on the subject of songwriting.

Here's one of the videos he made on approaching writing that helped me get a feel for what songwriting was like.

And naturally, doing something for the first time or any time comes with obstacles. One obstacle for me is that it's my first time writing! I have no experience whatsoever with songwriting, so that'll be a challenge. Also, I have no one to formally mentor me during my time songwriting. All I have is myself. On average, people take around 2 or 3 hours writing, but I also have other components rather than lyrics. I need to formulate a chord progression, write two verses, a bridge, and a chorus for an instrumental. Think of like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai sorta thing. I have no experience recording myself playing either. I don't have a microphone to hook up to my amplifier

I'm excited to share the labor of my love with you guys! I'm ready to produce a banging song for you guys to hear.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Started: Writing

Learn Music Theory!